Thread: Partitions not detected by gparted

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Partitions not detected by gparted

Hi guys,

Recently swapped a new drive into my Thinkpad and reinstalled everything from scratch. Installed Windows 7 first, then booted from the 10.04 Ubuntu CD and tried repartitioning my drive.

Gparted however claims my drive is blank and wants to allocate the whole thing to Ubuntu. In Windows, it detects the two partitions (a 100mb partition created by Windows 7 and the rest is just Windows 7).

Before installing Windows 7, I had experimented with hackintoshing, so the drive had a GUID table and a HFS partition. Windows 7 setup apparently wiped this all out and replaced it with a MBR and NTFS partition.

I've got a feeling there are remnants left over, hence confusing gparted (which says something about corrupted GUID tables in the console output). I've tried restoring the MBR with the Windows Recovery Console, I've tried shrinking the NTFS partition and creating space for Ubuntu.. still, gparted won't detect anything.

What can I do to get the dual boot running without wiping out my Windows 7 install?
    ThinkPad X201 - i5-520M - 8GB DDR3 RAM - Intel HD Graphics - 1GB GeForce 560 Ti eGPU - Xubuntu 14.04/Windows 8 Pro
    Gaming PC - i5-4670 - 16GB DDR3 RAM - 3GB Radeon R9 280X - Windows 8 Pro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Partitions not detected by gparted

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove dmraid
    While in Live CD give this code, then to straight to install.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

garvinrick4's suggestion is unlikely to help. It sounds like the drive has leftover GPT data on it, which is confusing GParted. The easiest way to deal with this is to use my GPT fdisk (aka gdisk) program, which you can can use via PartedMagic or System Rescue CD.

To fix your problem, follow these steps:

1. Boot the emergency disk and open a text-mode shell.
    2. Type "gdisk /dev/sda" (change "/dev/sda" to whatever is appropriate to access your hard disk, if necessary). The program is likely to complain that it's found both MBR and GPT data, and will ask which to use. It doesn't matter which you tell it to use.
    3. At the "Command" prompt, type "x" to enter the experts' menu.
    4. At the "Expert command" prompt, type "z" to "zap" (destroy) the GPT data.
    5. Type "y" in response to the confirmation about destroying the GPT.
    6. Type "n" in response to the query about blanking the MBR. Caution: If you answer "y" here, you'll destroy your Windows partition(s)!

The program will now exit. I recommend you test that this worked by using GParted. If GParted can now see your Windows partition(s), the Ubuntu installer should do so, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wow, thanks srs5694, that worked perfectly! Cleaned out the GPT data, preserved the MBR stuff. Awesome
    ThinkPad X201 - i5-520M - 8GB DDR3 RAM - Intel HD Graphics - 1GB GeForce 560 Ti eGPU - Xubuntu 14.04/Windows 8 Pro
    Gaming PC - i5-4670 - 16GB DDR3 RAM - 3GB Radeon R9 280X - Windows 8 Pro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks srs5694! Same thing on this machine... failed hackintosh attempt. Clean install of Windows 7. Everything seemed fine until I tried to install Ubuntu.

I used GPT fdisk 64 bit under an Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit live disc. Flawless victory. Informative and helpful website too.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Partitions not detected by gparted

i followed the procedure exactly as mentioned srs5694. Neither ubuntu install nor gparted detects my hard disk. I have a samsung 60gb hd; some 6yrs old. can any1 help me???

Btw i want to install ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jinjanjaa View Post
    i followed the procedure exactly as mentioned srs5694. Neither ubuntu install nor gparted detects my hard disk. I have a samsung 60gb hd; some 6yrs old. can any1 help me???

Btw i want to install ubuntu 10.10
    This thread is a few months old and marked as solved which means few people are likely to respond to your request you should start a new thread, and be sure to give more detail about your issue.
    Laptop Toshiba 1.6 ghz 1gb ram 80gb HDD Ubuntu 9.04
    Media Server AMD 64bit 3.6 ghz 4gb ram 200gb HDD 1tb sata raid storage Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Phone ANDROID
    Linux User Number 509298

Beans

Smile Re: Partitions not detected by gparted

i'll do that.......