Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switched Nvidia card to new ATI card. Need help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Switched Nvidia card to new ATI card. Need help.

I dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows Vista 32 bit. I have been running them without problem for a while now. Recently I upgraded my video card to a ATI HD6450 from a Nvidia 7600GS. I got it running smoothly on the Vista side but due to shortsightedness on my part I can only log into Ubuntu in text mode.

I believe I need to still uninstall Nvidia drivers before I can proceed back to a graphic desktop. How can I do this through text mode?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Beans

Re: Switched Nvidia card to new ATI card. Need help.

That depends on how you installed the nVidia drivers.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think it was through the Restricted Drivers pull down menu.

Beans

Is your driver supported:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

Have you manually installed the radeon drivers for it?

When I install Catalyst, I always do it myself. Here’s some short instructions you can follow to do the same (this is for a 64-bit Ubuntu OS, but you can change it to 32-bit to work for your installation):
    1. Go to amd.com and download your driver
    2. Run: sudo apt-get –purge remove fglrx*
    3. Run: sudo apt-get install dh-make execstack dh-modaliases dkms lib32gcc1 libc6-i386
    4. Go to the directory you downloaded the driver in (usually ~Downloads)
    Run: sudo chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run
    Run: sudo sh ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run –buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
    Here I assume you are using Ubuntu 11.10. If you’re using another version, use that version’s name, for example Ubuntu/maverick
    5. Run: sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    6. Run: sudo aticonfig –initial -f

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSim View Post
    I dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows Vista 32 bit. I have been running them without problem for a while now. Recently I upgraded my video card to a ATI HD6450 from a Nvidia 7600GS. I got it running smoothly on the Vista side but due to shortsightedness on my part I can only log into Ubuntu in text mode.

I believe I need to still uninstall Nvidia drivers before I can proceed back to a graphic desktop. How can I do this through text mode?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why did you change the card? (This may be a stupid question - forgive me if it is.)

I have just installed an NVidia card into my machine to use instead of the on-board ATI (HD3300) graphics the motherboard has. Someone suggested it as a solution to a number of very annoying problems that I have had with Ubuntu installations, and it has transformed the machine! I am told that NVidia is supported much better on Ubuntu than ATI, and am delighted by the improvement I am experiencing.

I know it's not a lot of help for you (sorry), but you may just find that the NVidia card works better for you than the (newer) ATI one.

Oli.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

+1 for nvidia.

My dad runs Ubuntu and recently bought a new Dell machine with the exact same card as the OP (ATI Radeon HD6450) and I went through hell with that thing, it was awful. Anyway, to cut a very long story short, there seems to be no way to get the regular drivers to work, it was necessary for me to download the proprietary driver from the AMD website:

AMD Radeon HD6450 driver for Desktop (64bit)

Before installing that, you must first purge all the other drivers (fglrx etc) like so:

Purge graphics drivers

... then run that install file. Oh, and another tip which took me many more hours to finally work out: when you run it, you'll get a choice of what to do and the first option is [1] which usually means it's the default and you just hit enter - not in this case! You must specifically type "1" (I swear I could happily strangle the person who created that little masterpiece).

Beans

Agreed. nVidia writes the best video drivers for Linux. ATi is getting better but still don't compare. Intel, however, ...not so much.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello all,

Granted I am using a different card, AMD 6770, but the additional drivers work well for me.
    Dell XPS 8300, Intel core I7-2600, 12 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, AMD Radeon 6770, Soundblaster X-fi Xtreme, Dell 24" monitor, Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10-testing

Beans

Smile Re: Switched Nvidia card to new ATI card. Need help.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer7777 View Post
    Is your driver supported:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

Have you manually installed the radeon drivers for it?

When I install Catalyst, I always do it myself. Here’s some short instructions you can follow to do the same (this is for a 64-bit Ubuntu OS, but you can change it to 32-bit to work for your installation):
    1. Go to amd.com and download your driver
    2. Run: sudo apt-get –purge remove fglrx*
    3. Run: sudo apt-get install dh-make execstack dh-modaliases dkms lib32gcc1 libc6-i386
    4. Go to the directory you downloaded the driver in (usually ~Downloads)
    Run: sudo chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run
    Run: sudo sh ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run –buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
    Here I assume you are using Ubuntu 11.10. If you’re using another version, use that version’s name, for example Ubuntu/maverick
    5. Run: sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    6. Run: sudo aticonfig –initial -f

Thank you, I bought a Radeon HD 6950 (unlocked to a 6970) and was wondering how to do this. Coming from a Nvidia GTS 450.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Thank you, I bought a Radeon HD 6950 (unlocked to a 6970) and was wondering how to do this. Coming from a Nvidia GTS 450.
    Everyone should avoid ATI like the plague until we can get comparable support like we do with other 3rd party video drivers, i.e. intel, and nvidia.. etc etc. I think a good percentage of problems that user post in the general forums are due to the fact they are using ATI video drivers over the last couple of years of being here trying to help them, IMHO. Anything is better than ATI, even the lousy on-board graphics if nothing else. If someone bought an ATI to swap out a nvidia card, they just don't know what they are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast