Thread: HTTPS on cloud instance

Beans

Re: HTTPS on cloud instance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't confuse encoding with the file container. ogg is a file container. Vorbis is an encoding. Same for opus - it is an encoding.

mka, ogg, mpa, mp3 are file containers.

AAC, mp3 (mpeg2 Layer III), opus, vorbis are all encodings.

My cell plan doesn't have unlimited data. There's only so much $30/yr buys. Just a few weeks ago, I got my first cell data plan since around 2017. I don't travel like I used to and being connected hasn't been an issue. When I travel, I'll oven get a 1GB / 1 week for $10 in the new country. A few times, laws in the country have prevented that or in some places there wasn't any cell coverage at all because they were extremely remote. If I weren't planning so much travel, I wouldn't have gotten a cell data plan.

As for copying files, there are lots of ways. nextcloud, rsync and if I'm in a hurry, I'll pull the microSD card and use a USB adapter.

I have a 4 bdr house on some land. Our situations are vastly different. My computers aren't where we sleep. Newer computers are quiet. Fans are quiet. They are fairly powerful and relatively cheap. It is amazing what $200 can buy if you reuse the case, PSU, monitor, etc. A single mid-tower easily handles 20TB of storage and 15 VMs. Actually, my Pi v4 is by far the the noisiest computer in the house.

Yep, vastly different worlds.

Beans

Cheers, different strokes for different folks.

I'm not sure how that ties in with opus being dead and vorbis the future. They are both encoders from related teams and opus is the new stuff, far from dead afaiu.

My mobile data use is minimal, even switched off it's a nice setup, it caches over wifi and I'm not often without wifi for long, if I do want a specific song or album on demand I can spend a few megs. My daughter uses the same kinda idea with ytmusic, but they lock everything on her device if the subscription isn't paid.

I will likely pick up a little quiet little server at some point but am in no rush, and the stuff I want always seems a year or two away or just out of budget atm, the cloud seems like a safe place to play and test out some ideas with data I'm not worried about losing or leaking if something goes wrong. I've got a free month to play with this machine, I'm learning a little, pleased with how it all performs and will see how things go.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks like my memory between opus and vorbis is flawed. Just read that opus is better for short clips.
    https://sound.stackexchange.com/ques...orbis-and-opus
    Opus is the successor for Vorbis, created by the same company and applicable to a wider range of audio qualities and rates while having low latency.
    Clearly I was wrong. Not the first time, even today.

I did lots of research about this a few years ago when I was re-ripping my CD collection. It was originally ripped in the late 1990s and took about an hour per CD at the time. Now it is 5 minutes per CD. Anyway, I decided to use Vorbis, not Opus for some reason. I did test Opus. Perhaps one of my players didn't support it? IDK. Perhaps it was an older Android tablet that refused to play it, but handled Vorbis just fine. Vorbis is supported on all my players and in every modern browser.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12