Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toggle between button and text-based location bar Nautilus - Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Toggle between button and text-based location bar Nautilus - Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by aftabnaveed View Post
    I guess, they should have not changed the way it was, there was a little button to the very left of the location bar, which would toggle between text and icons.
    +1.
    That button is very useful. Another interesting feature it has is that once you toggle the text mode, it remains that way until you decide to go back to the button mode; there's no need to press Ctrl+L every time you open a new window.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Angry Re: Toggle between button and text-based location bar Nautilus - Lucid

+1 It seems a totally a daft decision to remove the button. @ Developers - please, please can we have it back?

Some of you folks may be interested in a (closed as "solved") thread in the "Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion" forum on this subject...

My situation is particularly bizarre. I was in "text mode" when I upgraded from Karmic to Lucid. I am now stuck in text mode. Ctrl+L highlights the text and ESC toggles a trailing slash at the end of the path, on & off. I cannot actually get back to button mode at all!

Seems the only solution at the moment for those who want the toggle button back is to download the Nautilus source from GIT and compile it yourself. Hmmm...

Best wishes, G.
    Last edited by Mr.Goose; May 3rd, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
    There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced with something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory that this has already happened. [D.A.]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goose View Post
    +1 It seems a totally a daft decision to remove the button. @ Developers - please, please can we have it back?

Some of you folks may be interested in a (closed as "solved") thread in the "Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion" forum on this subject...

My situation is particularly bizarre. I was in "text mode" when I upgraded from Karmic to Lucid. I am now stuck in text mode. Ctrl+L highlights the text and ESC toggles a trailing slash at the end of the path, on & off. I cannot actually get back to button mode at all!

Seems the only solution at the moment for those who want the toggle button back is to download the Nautilus source from GIT and compile it yourself. Hmmm...

Best wishes, G.
    There's a way to at least get the functionality back, using gconftool. You have to create a new empty file, and open it with gedit text editor. Make the file's content like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

SHOW=$(gconftool-2 --get /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_location_entry)
    if [ $SHOW = "true" ] ; then
       gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_location_entry --type=bool false
    else
       gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_location_entry --type=bool true
    fi
    Save it. And finally create a launcher to that script. The launcher's command should be:
    sh /PATH_TO_SCRIPT/FILENAME. And in "type", choose "Application in terminal".
    That way, the launcher becomes pretty much the same as that button we miss XD
    but it will be in the panel instead of being by the location bar. I guess it's something...

Beans

@gadolinio
    in Lucid Lynx it won't remember it, I mean you have to press Ctrl + L every time the window is reloaded or re painted.

Beans

Ok thanks to aysiu I have found the solution to my problem and it may help some others as well. They posted a way to permanently revert the "bread crumbs" back the the text bar using gconf-edit.

Re: Has the text-based location bar been removed from Nautilus?
    You can change it back to text-only.

Press Alt-F2 and paste in
    Code:

gconf-editor

Then go to Apps > Nautilus > Preferences and check always_use_location_entry
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version Name: locationbartext1.png Views: 14 Size: 82.1 KB ID: 153854 Click image for larger version Name: locationbartext2.png Views: 17 Size: 119.7 KB ID: 153855
    This may not help those who want to switch back and forth, but for me (I personally don't like the look and feel of the breadcrumbs at all) works out nicely.

My thanks go to aysiu.

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yeah... give me my toggle button back... or else
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyFrank View Post

Seconded

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyFrank View Post
    Thirded.

Apparently it was a gnome decision. All bug reports I can find seem to lead here......
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=605608

There doesn't seem to be much appetite from the development community, where keyboard shortcuts are the main language.
    Last edited by BFG; May 5th, 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aftabnaveed View Post
    @gadolinio
    in Lucid Lynx it won't remember it, I mean you have to press Ctrl + L every time the window is reloaded or re painted.
    I've tried the script in a virtual machine with Lucid, and it works. And other people propose using gconf-editor and then apps--> nautilus--> preferences, and check always_use_location_entry; as far as I know that does the same as the script, but from the terminal.

I'll try it and then restart the system, with one and the other option set, to see if it still remembers the configuration. I'll post results then.

Ctrl+L does indeed work for a single window, as ctrl+H does for hidden files. But the problem is that, in the end, ctrl+L doesn't really toggle between text and button mode; it's only intended to let you find some specific place. The same function is under "Go To" menu, then "Place...", which was also in Nautilus before, at least in Intrepid Ibex.
    So the conclusion would be: developers didn't just make the function accesible with Ctrl+L; that GoTo already existed. They actually removed the toggle button :S And that function is now less accesible (gconf-editor, or gconftool).

Beans

@gadolinio

I've create a launcher pointing to your script, it works fine but I don't know how to make it easily accessible in the side panel as you propose, could you please advise?

Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast