Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Debian GNU Talk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Debian GNU Talk

I'm probably reviving an old thread, but every time somebody talks about
    bugginess in an Etch build, the bugs that are mentioned are gnome-related.
    A connection, perhaps?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Well, there are some bugs, that I am aware abaout, I just swithed BACK to Debian on my laptop, because I wanted a more stable thing then Edgy och even dapper could give me.

The main problem with Etch is that Etch is still usin an old GNOME release, but thats good too, because then its tested for quite some time.
    The best thing is that GNOME in etch is, to the differense från ubuntu 5.10, stable, in tha way that it does not crash.
    There is but one god, and root is his name.
    Everyone else are but mere users.
    ***Compiling Universe***
    AMD Semperon 3000+ 1,8 gz 64 bit, 512 MB RAM, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200.

Beans

According to Distrowatch, Etch now has Gnome 2.16. I thought the plan was for it to be available in backports, maybe 2.14 just had too many problems? I'm looking forward to the final release

Tony.

PS. What do you guys go for: netinstall, 1cd, 2-3cd's, dvd, etc?
    I'm torn between the 1st cd & the netinstall disc, wanting to keep bloat to a minimum.
    Last edited by ahaslam; February 11th, 2007 at 03:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I got the DVD not that I really want to make a heavy system but at least can se the disc for other installs.
    Why can't technology be as simple as the box it comes in ?

VAIO X505 800g pure Debian.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Haslam View Post
    According to Distrowatch, Etch now has Gnome 2.16. I thought the plan was for it to be available in backports, maybe 2.14 just had too many problems? I'm looking forward to the final release
    Distrowatch is not a reliable source for anything, including news and distribution popularity. Debian Etch will have GNOME 2.14 because 2.16 is very buggy. Check out the official GNOME bugzilla and you will see the critical bugs that it still has after all these months. KDE is only 0.0.1 version behind because the newest version was released a little over 1 week ago and Etch is frozen.

PS. What do you guys go for: netinstall, 1cd, 2-3cd's, dvd, etc?
    I'm torn between the 1st cd & the netinstall disc, wanting to keep bloat to a minimum.
    Just do a netinstall as it will save you time in the long run unless you expect to do a reinstall after you have your new system up. Remember, all you will need to download is a 150MB iso and then only the packages that you need. With a full 1 CD disk you will 1) download a 650MB iso 1) re-download most packages that the CD has anyway just because newer updated versions will be available. If you choose to install KDE desktop instead of GNOME, you will need to use the daily build netinstall image as this is a new task option. Of course, you can always install KDE yourself but the task option has many benefits such as installing other, non-KDE packages (such as sound and printer support) that are very useful for desktop systems. Press F8 in the CD boot menu for more information on how to start a KDE desktop install.

For Debian questions and answers it is best to use a Debian forum like forums.debian.net

Linux.com has an interesting article on Debian and the upcomming release.
    Last edited by AgenT; February 13th, 2007 at 01:01 AM.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans
    Hidden!

The last paragraph was interesting in light that Etch won't be out at least till March.
    Why can't technology be as simple as the box it comes in ?

VAIO X505 800g pure Debian.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021