Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu is my boyfriend.

Re: ubuntu is my boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by fatsheep View Post
    Really? If you've got any more detailed info I would be interested.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    While she was working on a Mark II Computer at Harvard University, her associates discovered a moth stuck in a relay and thereby impeding operation, whereupon she remarked that they were "debugging" the system. Though the term computer bug cannot be definitively attributed to Admiral Hopper, she did bring the term into popularity. The remains of the moth can be found in the group's log book at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:H96566k.jpg
    Last edited by K.Mandla; November 28th, 2006 at 02:57 AM.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!

see that and raise you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace

During a nine-month period in 1842-1843, Ada translated Italian mathematician Luigi Menabrea's memoir on Babbage's newest proposed machine, the Analytical Engine. With the article, she appended a set of notes which specified in complete detail a method for calculating Bernoulli numbers with the Engine, recognized by historians as the world's first computer program.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by calx View Post
    Try here for tshirts http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/. My girlfriend (also an ubuntress) has one that says "Talk nerdy to me".
    They don't make available all the shirt designs that I like... like the Chem one in the Science section about Johnny and the H2SO4 joke.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Lucas View Post
    I'm a woman a develper of KDE.
    yayyyyy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

if it's any consolation, i think geek chicks are sexy.

hmmmm......maybe that's why they pretend not be geeks.......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Circus-Killer View Post
    if it's any consolation, i think geek chicks are sexy.

hmmmm......maybe that's why they pretend not be geeks.......
    haahahahahaha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I wish I knew. If you think of any ideas that might help you and other ladies feel as welcome as we truly wish for you to feel please let me/us know.
    Here's an idea for you; it's very unorthodox, but it might actually help: Don't make such a big deal out of me being a woman.

It would help me.

I'm used to being the gender minority. I do martial arts, I'm a videogamer and table-top roleplayer, I love sports, mainly basketball (see my avatar for proof) and college football, and I always follow my SO to his weekly pokergame and I usually do pretty well. I never really care that I'm a woman and the rest of the group isn't; we're a group of people getting together, who all have an interest in this one thing, be it karate, the last football game of the season, or the thrill of flopping the nut straight.

Likewise, I'm intersted in Ubuntu, I like having it on my laptop, I love playing around with it and tweaking things, and I enjoy the fact that WinXP still works so well on my desktop PC that it can play all my games on it. Gender doesn't have anything to do with any of this, or at least it shouldn't. It bothers me when people are so narrowminded and prejudiced that they can't see beyond male and female, and when they through that inability avoid certain interests and/or places, or exclude people who could add a lot to the overall fun of the night, just because they are men or women. It seems short-sighted to me.

/Mimsy
    Last edited by Mimsy; November 28th, 2006 at 07:56 AM. Reason: wet nailpolish + typing = dyslexia impersonation
    February 2010: Back after two years of Ubuntu hiatus!
    I'm practically starting over, and trying to catch up. Please be patient with me.

Java server of choice: Large French Press

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
    Here's an idea for you; it's very unorthodox, but it might actually help: Don't make such a big deal out of me being a woman.

It would help me.
    Wait! You're a woman?

I love the note as to why you edited your post...
    Last edited by Mimsy : 1 Hour Ago at 06:56 AM. Reason: wet nailpolish + typing = dyslexia impersonation
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi everyone
    I have commented elsewhere the small number of women in Linux communities in general. I am not sure how to handle quoting oneself here ... Anyway, I see it partly as a social issue.

What I do appreciate in this forum, is the staff's goal to have women feel at ease, taking care of useless comments, welcoming them with attention. And in general to have the largest population feel at ease, regardless of age, sex, politics or religion. This is one way to evolve out of the "jungle ages" where the strongest/toughest/largest number wins (not sure about how to say that in English, I hope you get my point ^^).

Organizing a large and fast growing community, still taking care of and promoting its minorities is not easy, I do know that.

As Mimsy stated, you get used to being the gender minority I'm a biologist, I'm in french academia, I've hit several times what we call the "glass ceiling", un invisible limit that stops you because you're a minority (and not just because you are a women ). I am not an militant, I do not strongly support affirmative actions, for example, as I believe that anybody should be able to accomplish what he/she likes to regardless of his/her social group. But, hey, we do not live in a perfect world. Thank you for helping the Ubuntu spirit spread among this community, and possibly "To Infinity and Beyond"
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

IVE FOUND OUT THE SOLUTION TO WHY WOMEN IN UBUNTU SEEMS LACKING!

Lack of pink and other feminine themes ( and wallpapers )!
    I say we should include them by default and ask at install if the majority of users would be either male, female or neutral!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast