Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vlc and other players crash on avi file playback start

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: vlc and other players crash on avi file playback start

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. This has something to do with drivers, I'm almost sure. Under PCLinux everything works fine. With Sabayon there is flickering on video playback and it can't be solved by changing the video output plugin. Super Ubuntu uses Medibuntu repositories and drivers are provided by them. Now, the machine I'm talking about is not mine. It's friend's Toshiba Sattelite with ATI Radeon (I don't remember what) which I don't have with me at this time. It was supprise that everything else worked just fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

If you are still having problems try this:

Goto>System>Preferences>Multimedia Systems Selector (it may not be enabled in your menu, enable if not)
    Choose Video, under default output change this to X Window System (No Xv), it may need a reboot to take effect, hope this helps.

Regards, Ellgor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks Ellgor
    I made that change from auto detect and now I can play video with movie player
    The other media players will not work though
    Last edited by canadastitan; April 27th, 2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I do not realy think it is a problem with my video drivers as i have found a program that will play the .avi files..!!
    the program is FF video convertor (WinFF)..
    If I add the .avi file into WinFF then play it with it's FFplay,then it will play the video correctly with slight audio problems..but yet all the other media players will not work for me at all
    ..I suspect there is some kind of difference between ubuntu 9.04 and its earlier version's,as all the earlier version's will play .avi video correctly with all of the media player's...
    ..This problem only started when I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello.

I have the same problem as canadastitan. After upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 I cannot play avi and mpeg files. Vlc crashes immediately at startup and Mplayer plays only sound.
    Before the upgrade everything was OK.

If anybody has a solution...
    Thanks a lot.

Beans

I have the same problem (except that I'm pretty sure that I could open avi's in VLC in 9.04 for a while, but suddenly it started crashing VLC. Not 100% sure, though).

A bad workaround is to open VLC first, and then drag the .avi onto it. This is cumbersome, but works for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the reply. The problem remains. Vlc always crashes.

I can't find any solution.

Beans

I have the same problem. After upgrade from ubuntu 810 to 904, all video player could not play any video file. All suddenly crash on opening any video file. No error found.
    I try to do fresh install kubuntu 904 and install all video codecs. Dragon player did not crash on opening video file but it only show blue window. I try install VLC, it still crash on opening video file.

Any suggestion on this?

Beans

I'm having the same problem with VLC in Ubuntu 8.10 w/ 2.6.27-14-generic. VLC has always been my preferred video player, and has always worked flawlessly. The problem began sometime after May 18th, and extends to other viedo formats (.mkv, .mp4, etc) All files still play in mplayer, so it doesn't strike me as a problem with video drivers or codecs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: vlc and other players crash on avi file playback start

Quote Originally Posted by canadastitan View Post
    this is what i get in terminal
    dale@Titan:~$ vlc
    VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
    [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    [????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 132.19 failed with error code 11:
    BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 132 (XVideo)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 ()
    Serial number of failed request: 81
    Current serial number in output stream: 82
    dale@Titan:~$
    and the vlc player will start but as soon as it opens the selected .avi file it crashes and closes also
    I also have the same problem;

Code:
    VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
    [????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 132.19 failed with error code 11:
     BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  132 (XVideo)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
      Serial number of failed request:  81
      Current serial number in output stream:  82
    Is there any solution to this problem?
    Desktop (2.40GHz, Intel865GBF 1GB RAM): Dual Boot - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope and Windows XP
    "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 17049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast