Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Cricket Wireless A600 Broadband Modem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Cricket Wireless A600 Broadband Modem

Actually, the Cricket device never appears in the Broadband tab... I have removed and reinstalled the Network Manager and the problem persists... I even installed Wicd insted of Network Manager and the same issue happens.

I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04, it is the 32 bits version.

I think it is gonna be a Kernel recession, but I don't know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Perhaps you could back up your data and do a fresh install of 9.04? I know there are some issues with upgrades some times. Also I know Ubuntu NBR is 32bit, so if it works on there I do not see much reason why it should not work on normal 32bit.

~Jeff

Beans
    Distro

hmm, interesting... I just tried to setup the A600 USB modem from the Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD and it worked!... I wonder what's wrong when using an upgraded 8.10-9.04 version....

I need to find another way to solve this, I don't wanna erase everything and pimp my beauty ubuntu distro again... It takes some time to do so..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I figured as much. As a rule of thumb when ever I want to upgrade an operating system (regardless of whether it's windows or nix) I always wipe it clean. Of course I do love the smell of a fresh operating system in the morning

~Jeff

Beans

Thank you very much. I have used this on ubuntu 9.04 32- and 64-bit and 8.10 32-bit and it works perfectly on all of them.

Does anyone know if using cricket on Ubuntu still allows Cricket to track how much data you use? They limit it to 5 gb/month, but I don't know if they keep track of it somehow using the windows program or by another method. Anyone know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm about 99% sure they keep track of how much bandwidth you are using in a month on their end. As for monitoring it you can add an applet to your Gnome menu bar that will keep track of network traffic.

~Jeff

Beans

I'm so happy to be able to use my modem with my Eee PC. Thanks, Jeff. I did have a couple of questions though. The first is what applet would one use for monitoring network usage and is there one that writes a log file to keep track of total usage? My second question is how would one send/recieve text messages while running under Linux? Do I always have to connect under Windows in order to do this, or do you know of another way? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Glad it worked for you. As for the applet right click on your gnome panel and select "add to panel" and then select "network monitor". As for writing the data to a log I am not sure how exactly but perhaps this thread will have some helpful hints for you. Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to text message with the device while on Ubuntu/Linux, but I can honestly say I have not really looked into it because I have unlimited texting on my cell phone so I use that.

~Jeff

Beans

Thanks for the reference to the other thread. I'm looking it over now. I doubt I would exceed the five GB limit since I can't use BitTorrent or Apache and what have ya, but there is always the chance that between system upgrades, YouTube and anything else the Web may hold, I may find a way to actually go over. Well, it's a matter of time and patience before things work smoothly. If you find out anything let us know and I'll do the same.

Beans
    Distro

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and I have followed the instructions, but when I get to the part where you plug the modem in the auto run never pops up. So I tried running the flipflop.sh and it did turn the modem on, but I never got annything in the network manager nor does it connect to the internet. Any ideas?

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast