Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen brightness on Acer 4810T

Beans

Screen brightness on Acer 4810T

Hi.

I've just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my Acer Aspire 4810Timeline. Everything seems to be working ok, except for the screen brightness. The [Fn]+[Up]/[Down] combination displays the popup and the bar is moving correctly, but the brightness remains the same. I've checked the contents of /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD02/brightness which changes accordingly. Anyone who's had the same problem, and knows how to solve it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Screen brightness on Acer 4810T

Just run this in a terminal, it worked for me on my Acer Timeline 4810TZ-4011 on Linux Mint (which is based on Ubuntu 9.04)
    Code:
    xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    I found it here, the advice was given by alvinator@

Hope it'll work for you
    Last edited by OrnithO; July 25th, 2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: small copy/paste mistake

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This fix works. thanks. But it resets when I restart my laptop. Can I make this change permanent?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry, I forgot that...
    You have to go to System > Preferences > Startup Application Preferences.
    Then Click on add. For the name, call it Screen Brightness (or anything you want) and put the code under command. The restart and check if it worked.
    Hope you will find your way through. My Ubuntu is in French and I don't know the correct name in English...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi.

I have a similar problem with (kind of) the same computer. The exact model is 4810TZ-4013

Running the command does nothing, I'm still unable to change the brighntess

Any ideas? This thing is starting to hurt my eyes

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by edd07; August 28th, 2009 at 03:47 AM. Reason: turns out it did nothing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I updated the BIOS to 2.28, logged into Ubuntu, changed the screen brightness... and it worked!

Well, the bad news is every time I do that, the system locks up =X

EDIT: bricked it trying to downgrade the BIOS, got it back, still no backlight control too, but this time I won't update the BIOS
    Last edited by Arlanthir; September 29th, 2009 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OrnithO View Post
    Just run this in a terminal, it worked for me on my Acer Timeline 4810TZ-4011 on Linux Mint (which is based on Ubuntu 9.04)
    Code:
    xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    I found it here, the advice was given by alvinator@

Hope it'll work for you
    Found a workaround for the 5810T on karmic that will persist across reboots:

Add the following to the GRUB_CMD_LINUX_DEFAULT entry in /etc/default/grub: acpi_backlight=vendor

Don't forget to run update-grub.
    Last edited by coolvibe; September 30th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coolvibe View Post
    Found a workaround for the 5810T on karmic that will persist across reboots:

Add the following to the GRUB_CMD_LINUX_DEFAULT entry in /etc/default/grub: acpi_backlight=vendor

Don't forget to run update-grub.
    Uh-oh, I've just installed Karmic, but I don't have a /etc/default/grub file.

Any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by edd07 View Post
    Uh-oh, I've just installed Karmic, but I don't have a /etc/default/grub file.

Any ideas?
    If you upgraded, you are still using the old GRUB. Just add them to your kopts in the menu.lst in /boot/grub, (don't forget to run update-grub afterwards) or just upgrade to GRUB 2

EDIT: Oh, and KMS might be in the way as well, as it will map your screen to LVDS1 instead of LVDS, so desable that too. You can disable KMS by setting "nomodeset" as a kernel parameter.
    Last edited by coolvibe; October 5th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coolvibe View Post
    If you upgraded, you are still using the old GRUB. Just add them to your kopts in the menu.lst in /boot/grub, (don't forget to run update-grub afterwards) or just upgrade to GRUB 2

EDIT: Oh, and KMS might be in the way as well, as it will map your screen to LVDS1 instead of LVDS, so desable that too. You can disable KMS by setting "nomodeset" as a kernel parameter.
    Ok, I tried to upgrade GRUB and it didn't work (it booted me into a grey screen with a black rectangle on the center of the screen), so I added the option to old-school grub's menu.lst.

So, you're saying KMS will break this solution? Or will I have to do something else when it's enabled?

EDIT: Nevermind, it doesn't work. Seems like my laptop is trying really hard to blind me
    Last edited by edd07; October 6th, 2009 at 01:55 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast