ubuntu 11.04 (((:
    congreg's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPd8yq-IHvI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Aero Snap function?

Hello
    I just change my laptop, I have an Soni Vaio with Sandy Bridge Intel graphic card and AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M . The problem is that aero functions are not working at this moment so I need to manual arrange 2 windows in order to see them side by side.
    I installed Ubuntu 11.04 Alternative and kept my /home from the other laptop. Normally this function comes by default on 11.04 and I don't know where the problem is and how to fix it.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sony Vaio SA i7 SandyBridge Radeon 6630m&Intel HD 3000 graphics
    Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by opodaniel View Post
    Hello
    I just change my laptop, I have an Soni Vaio with Sandy Bridge Intel graphic card and AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M . The problem is that aero functions are not working at this moment so I need to manual arrange 2 windows in order to see them side by side.
    I installed Ubuntu 11.04 Alternative and kept my /home from the other laptop. Normally this function comes by default on 11.04 and I don't know where the problem is and how to fix it.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.
    hi,
    this is one long thread and it dealt with previous ubuntu versions.
    I would highly recommend to open a new thread and someone who had the same problem will notice.
    br

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thanks for your reply. I found the problem to be the radeon video card . The drivers are far from being perfect since the card is new arrived on the market... I am talking about Radeon 6630M. Since the drivers were unfit, all effects were disabled hence the problems. I couldn't watch a movie with my laptop .
    I manage to block the Radeon card and I use now the Intel integrated graphic card ( Sandy Bridge CPU).
    Sony Vaio SA i7 SandyBridge Radeon 6630m&Intel HD 3000 graphics
    Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit

Beans

Hi folks,

I realise this thread is about compiz snap, however I'm a keyboard junkie so don't really like moving my hand to the mouse in order to drag windows. I spent some time with Xmonad and really liked the tiling and ability to change the split size with the keyboard. This was the only feature I realised I missed in gnome.

I therefore shamelessly grabbed the scripts from this thread and hacked them about to do some rudimentary calcs on the current state of the window and calculate what the 'next' size would go to.

The idea is that when you first run 'snap_left' it snaps to the left but taking up 2/3 of the screen. If you run it on the same window again, it goes to 1/2, then 1/3 then it maximises, then starts the cycle again. There are 4 scripts, one for each of left, right, up, down.

I thought some folks on here may appreciate it. They are all zipped in the attachment along with a file called set_snap_keys which if you run will bind the 4 commands to <Ctrl><Super>+Arrow keys.

This does not rely on compiz, they work with metacity etc too.

Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by looniichoon View Post
    I thought some folks on here may appreciate it. They are all zipped in the attachment along with a file called set_snap_keys which if you run will bind the 4 commands to <Ctrl><Super>+Arrow keys.

This does not rely on compiz, they work with metacity etc too.

Enjoy.
    This is excellent for those of us not moving on to 11.04 or 11.10 for various reasons, thank you.

Beans

Talking Re: Aero Snap function?

What I would like to do is to add new window buttons for this. I want to have 5 window buttons, 4 arrows and an X.
    Left arrow -> resizes the window to half of the screen and left
    Right arrow -> resizes the window to half of the screen and right
    Down arrow -> minimize window
    Up arrow -> maximize window
    X -> close window

Any idea of how can I do this?
    Somebody else thinks that is a brilliant idea?

Thanks!
    I use ubuntu 10.10
    Last edited by katutxakurra; November 12th, 2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: add information

Beans

Yes, it is a great idea. I know it is not possible in metacity as that only supports the standard functions. It may be possible in compiz with an extension, but I don't know of one that is already available with that functionality. Sorry.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516