Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is "exe" process? High CPU usage

Beans

Re: What is "exe" process? High CPU usage

Same problem here. Probably coming from one of the laste update of chromium...

Beans

It seems to (always?) max out at nigh-100% usage when resuming from suspend or hibernate. I have a script ready to put into /etc/pm/sleep.d/ to automatically kill any exe processes when resuming/thawing, but I want to log the event a bit first.

Beans

Its a Chromium process, actually the Flash player. And a hungry one aswell.

Beans

I'm currently having the same issue. I did recently update my chromium install to:

build: 4.0.263.0 (Ubuntu build 33682)

I don't recall seeing the issue before updating my chromium instance.

@martini1179 - I also haven't updated my flash plugin in a while. I'm guessing the 'exe' process is a new plugin wrapper that chromium introduced (recently?).

Hopefully this issue gets resolved soon.

Beans

The link /proc/<pid>/exe always points to the executable of the process with the identifier <pid>. Also, /proc/self/exe points to the executable of the current process. So, strictly speaking, the 'exe' process can be anything.

Using 'ps -eo pid,ppid,args' (perhaps in combination with grep) you can see what is the parent (ppid) of the exe process and then look up that one to see what it is. In othe word: (1) find the line that says /proc/self/exe in the third column, (2) see what number X it has in the second column, (3) find the line that has X in the first column, and (4) see what is in the third column of that line.

It's likely you'll discover that the problem is chrome. Apparently chrome starts itself with certain arguments in order to start an extension. Now you can start Task Manager in Chrome (Shift-Escape) and see what uses lots of CPU or memory. In my case, the GMail Checker extension uses about 180MB. That's not really acceptable

Beans

Same here.

exe flash process takin ~90% of cpu and after some time memory usage goes to ~500mb

I'm using Chromium 4.0.270.0 (Ubuntu build 34458) and this is starting to **** me off..

Beans

Well, kill it. :3
    Code:
    $ killall exe
    But as rgrig said, you could be killing something entirely different.

You can probably also use the built-in task manager in Chromium; a bit more reliable, that. (Shift+Esc)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Same problem, but I use google chrome 4.0.249.43...think it's in beta. From 90MB ram usage in just few minutes it's eating 200+. Only opened facebook and this forum. CPU usage is litle bit over 30% and swap is 10MB.

Beans

I have been experiencing this as well, with Goole Chrome 4.0.249.43.

I am wondering though, do you guys experience, what appears to be, excessive Hard Disk I/O at the same times that the "exe" process decides to go wild?

I say "appears to be" because my disk activity light goes on, pretty much solidly, but a desktop disk activity widget shows no really unusual read/write activity at the same time. Unsure what to make of that...
    HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

Beans

I just uninstall (purged with aptitude) flashplugin-installer and have no further issue.

Using Chromium 4.0.284.0. And my flash sites are rendering fine.

I don't know why I needed flashplugin-installer in the first place - still - maybe this info can help a few who are experiencing the same annoying CPU usage problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast