Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutdown Problems W/Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Re: Shutdown Problems W/Ubuntu 10.04

Same problem. Upgraded from karmic and have a shutdown problem intermittantly. When it wont shutdown via the menu it will on the power button on the computer as I have set that up in preferences. Might try the suggestion of stopping 'Oo quickstarter' and see if that helps.
    Also when logging on a different user the keyboard sometimes won't work. I get round it buy unplugging and replugging the keyboard.
    Just some frustrating stuff which is disapointing after the flawless performance of karmic. I wanted to get the latest LTS version so I would not have to worry about upgrades every six months. Should not rush things to meet a time table IMHO.

Beans

Doesn't work here either, nor does init 0
    Last message (without splash) is power down but nothing happens after that, it just locks rock-solid.
    Nor does sudo shutdown -P 0, same solid lock after power down message.
    Last edited by Bas232; May 4th, 2010 at 12:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have found that my video card was the problem.
    1) system
    2)Administration
    3)Hardware drivers
    4)select a different NVIDIA driver or deactivate NVIDIA driver and try to power off. This worked for me I switched drivers.

If all else fails
    sudo poweroff worked for me as well.

Beans

It seems to me that various users have a problem shutting down from the GUI. Ubuntu 10.04 has a bug. From time to time, when someone chooses to shutdown, restart, or log off from the panel, nothing happens.

Beans

Exact same issue here on my old Dell D600 laptop. Just goes to the login screen and sits there. ATI mobility video. No drivers listed in hardware drivers.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

George Santayana (1863–1952)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sorry I have been out of town for the last week. Well I tried this to and it still did not shutdown all the way it still hangs at the splash screen, 10.04 LTS needs a lot work yet to solve these problems I even tried some of the fixes from 9.10 as well none of them worked either the shutdown issues Ubuntu has with shutting goes all the way back to 9.04 it seems like the folks in the UK needs to address this PROBLEM.

Beans

Smile Re: Shutdown Problems W/Ubuntu 10.04

I also had the shutdown problem. I disabled auto login in and that corrected my issue.
    System
    Administration
    Login Screen

Drainey

Beans

I tried different suggestions, but none worked.*

I ended up doing a clean installation.

*I did not try turning off the automatic login.

Beans

I had the same problem and killed the openoffice quickstarter (stop it from loading in pref or disable in system start programs section) and have had no problems since. Worked for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sveicken View Post
    I have the same problem. But your hint (Ooo quick starter) works for me too! When I exit the quick starter, then I can shutdown the computer. Thanks for that hint.

But: Whats wrong there? Something between Ooo quickstarter and ubuntu-shutdown?

Thanks for help.

Sudo shutdown -P 0 ... works every time.

Sven
    Same here -- it was driving me crazy, but I disabled Open Office quickstart and no more problems.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast