Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutdown Problems W/Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Re: Shutdown Problems W/Ubuntu 10.04

Well, I am having the same shutdown problem and even if by using some of the commands suggested I do finally succeed in shutting down my PC, I guess that should not be the way to do it all the time. So, I suppose that there is a little bug in Ubuntu 10.04, which should be fixed.

Beans

I'm having a shutdown problem too. Instead of shutting down and powering off my computer just restarts instead.

I've tried the command line alternatives, such as
    Code:
    # shutdown -P now
    # poweroff
    but the same problem occurs: my computer just restarts.

There's a bug report here, by the way:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/552316

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by sveicken View Post
    I already tried it with "quiet splash acpi=force" but it doesn't work. Shout it work with "quiet acpi=force" (without "splash")?

Sven
    Yes give it a try and see if it works for you just remove the word Splash Remember to update sudo update-grub

Beans

My problem is similar to others mentioned as 10.04 shuts down ok but then immediately restarts. I can only shut down by by holding the on/off button. I upgraded from the previous ubuntu system 9.10

Beans

well I'm no ubuntu expert but the fix for me was uninstalling Ubuntu Tweak. I read there are some bugs in the latest Ubuntu tweak and Ubuntu 10.04. Not sure if the bugs are related but just thought I would put my 2 cents in.
    thanks

Beans

Well sorry for the previous post. It was not ubuntu tweaks that did it for me. I forgot I also changed the Nvidea driver at the same time that I uninstall ubuntu tweaks. So it was the nvidea driver for me that was stopping ubuntu from restarting. When I tried to restart it would always go back to the login screen. Sorry for the confusion.
    thanks

Beans

All suggestions are appreciated usion1977

As was pointed out on the bugs page, there are too separate issues here. One group of people can't restart/shutdown, while for the other group, whenever they want to shutdown Ubuntu just restarts.

Unfortunately I've found no fix for this.

EDIT I got a new new kernel, -22-generic, but it still doesn't work.
    Last edited by Eliot Rosewater; May 12th, 2010 at 07:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I too was unable to shutdown. Choosing "Shutdown" simply had no effect at all (likewise for "Reboot"). Killing the OpenOffice quickstarter seems to work. Is there someway of including this kill command as an option with the default GUI "Shutdown" command? (And, where do the commands associated with the graphic Shutdown menu hide?)
    Thanks for any hints.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alh View Post
    I had the same problem and killed the openoffice quickstarter (stop it from loading in pref or disable in system start programs section) and have had no problems since. Worked for me.
    Hi, not quite with you. Could you spell out for me in baby language how to stop or disable openoffice quickstarter? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just click on the open-office quickstarter icon and select disable systray quickstarter

but you can also simply exit it when the shutdown does not work
    Rick

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast