Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toggle between button and text-based location bar Nautilus - Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Toggle between button and text-based location bar Nautilus - Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by nickwe View Post
    @gadolinio

I've create a launcher pointing to your script, it works fine but I don't know how to make it easily accessible in the side panel as you propose, could you please advise?

Thanks
    I'm sorry, but I don't know how to put a button or any link to the script where it was in previous versions of nautilus. I can only use it from the panel. If you want it on the left, near nautilus's location bar, you could add a panel on the left of the screenand then put the launcher there... if you think it's worth it.

Regarding the persistence of the setting, I've tested it and what gconftool does remains that way even after a reboot. So the proposed launcher is for now the best approach to the button I know about... Maybe someone modifies and compiles nautilus again in some time...

Beans

Oh OK, you were talking about a Desktop/Gnome panel and not a Nautilus side pane.

I've done like you said, and it fact it's working great and certainly the best workaround so far, thank you very much

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nickwe View Post
    Oh OK, you were talking about a Desktop/Gnome panel and not a Nautilus side pane.

I've done like you said, and it fact it's working great and certainly the best workaround so far, thank you very much
    Yes, I was talking about gnome-panel. It's also possible to use a nautilus script, which would be more nautilus-related, but not easier to use than a panel launcher. It would actually be some hassle, as it requires a right click, then, selecting the "scripts" menu, and then a final left click. And you would still have to move far from the location bar...
    But maybe someone modifies nautilus or writes some patch/addon in some time. Wish I knew how to do it...
    Last edited by gadolinio; May 6th, 2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: (grammar)

Beans

Hi guys!
    Somebody found the file responsible for button layout of Nautilus (original topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-659294.html).

The file is located here: /usr/share/nautilus/ui/nautilus-navigation-window-ui.xml

We need to link somehow the previous bash script with a newly created button. If I'll succeed, I'll pass the info.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lord_phantom View Post
    Hi guys!
    Somebody found the file responsible for button layout of Nautilus (original topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-659294.html).

The file is located here: /usr/share/nautilus/ui/nautilus-navigation-window-ui.xml

We need to link somehow the previous bash script with a newly created button. If I'll succeed, I'll pass the info.
    Wow, very interesting! Those xml files have tags with pre-existing values; I mean, there is somewhere else where "Edit Bookmarks", for example, is specifically described as a command or stg like that. So I wonder whether the toggle we're looking for is among those commands... It might be a matter of trying names it could have...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goose View Post
    +1 It seems a totally a daft decision to remove the button. @ Developers - please, please can we have it back?

Some of you folks may be interested in a (closed as "solved") thread in the "Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion" forum on this subject...

My situation is particularly bizarre. I was in "text mode" when I upgraded from Karmic to Lucid. I am now stuck in text mode. Ctrl+L highlights the text and ESC toggles a trailing slash at the end of the path, on & off. I cannot actually get back to button mode at all!

Seems the only solution at the moment for those who want the toggle button back is to download the Nautilus source from GIT and compile it yourself. Hmmm...

Best wishes, G.
    Ditto that. I much prefer breadcrumbs, but I use text every now and then. I noticed that the toggle button had disappeared within about 3 minutes of using the new 10.04.
    I was on text when I upgraded, and now I can't go back to breadcrumbs. I could live without the toggle button, (even though it was one of the things I cited as a major benefit over windows), but there is no way to make it go back. Anyone figured out a solution? (I would like to just switch it instead of put a launcher on my toolbar)

Beans

Pressing "/" also change the location bar to text-based. I find it more intuitive (and easier) than "Ctrl-L".

However, "/" only works in Icon and List mode, but not in Detail mode. It would be great it it worked in Detail too as I spend most of my browsing in that mode!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

dang! i was about to throw my monitor out of the window trying to figure this out - CTRL + L! aaaarghh! it was that easy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nautilus location bar, bread crumbs vs text based.
    Breadcrumbs is now the default. The button to switch between the two has been removed. Users can switch with ctrl+l and then esc to revert to breadcrumbs. To permanently switch to text users have to use gconf-editor from a terminal. Note: gconf-editor has been removed from the menus. The key is.
    apps>nautilus> preferences> always_use_location_entry
    From the General Help forum sticky.

Beans

Oky I have a different scenario,

I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 from Ubuntu 9.10, while keeping my home folder on a separate partition, so all my settings stayed the same from my installation with Ubuntu 9.10... Unfortunately one of my settings was that my location bar was text based.

In other words, when I press Ctrl+l, it stays text based, and if i press escape, it still stays text based. How can I change it to show the buttons?

Why on earth would they have removed the button to toggle between the two anyway?? It was so useful!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast