Thread: Move files to Files system

Beans

Move files to Files system

Running Maverick on a 64 bit HP G62.

I need to install a couple of plug-ins (AIML files) into Eclipse. Downloaded them fine, they're sitting both zipped and unzipped in the Downloads file.

Now I need to move them into the Eclipse plugin file but archive manager and simple copy and paste tells me I don't have permission. Well, that makes sense, I need to do it in terminal with a sudo command.

I hate to say it, but I'm getting on in years and haven't done this operation in a while and <embarrassed> can't remember how. Can someone remind me?

I want to move (mv?) two files from downloads to ~/usr/share/eclipse/plugins

I, still thinking my memory is better than it really is, did:

mv Downloads filename.1 usr/share/eclipse/plugins

or at least think I did, and ended up moving my whole bloody Downloads file there.

harrumph! Richard

Beans

Re: Move files to Files system

Sometimes I feel lazy.. and I just want to copy and paste files wherever I want in Ubuntu, even though I could with the command line.. The program I use is called PCMANFM.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-rep...in-ubuntu.html

I don't know why it isn't more popular to be completely honest with you, especially when you have to remember really long directory addresses at the command line to copy files around. etc etc etc.. The great part is it can be set to root privileges everywhere.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robing Goodfellow View Post
    Running Maverick on a 64 bit HP G62.

I need to install a couple of plug-ins (AIML files) into Eclipse. Downloaded them fine, they're sitting both zipped and unzipped in the Downloads file.

Now I need to move them into the Eclipse plugin file but archive manager and simple copy and paste tells me I don't have permission. Well, that makes sense, I need to do it in terminal with a sudo command.

I hate to say it, but I'm getting on in years and haven't done this operation in a while and <embarrassed> can't remember how. Can someone remind me?

I want to move (mv?) two files from downloads to ~/usr/share/eclipse/plugins

I, still thinking my memory is better than it really is, did:

mv Downloads filename.1 usr/share/eclipse/plugins

or at least think I did, and ended up moving my whole bloody Downloads file there.

harrumph! Richard
    Last edited by oldtimer7777; December 5th, 2011 at 01:22 AM.