Thread: Icon Preference Option?

Beans

Icon Preference Option?

I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity. I've used Ubuntu before but not for a few versions now. What prompted me to switch over was my friend. His computer crashed earlier this week and he asked me to try and fix it for him. I put Ubuntu 11.04 on it because the windows installation files weren't working and an operating system was better than no operating system. Anyways I then installed it on my own machine after seeing how responsive it was on his even though its a fairly old computer. This is important because after installing from the same disk on both and installing one or two applications they've been behaving differently.

On his machine when I put a windows game disk in to run it off wine all the icons displayed with their windows icon images. DLL files seemed to display icons with the first two letters of their name. It was all very pretty and I was impressed. However on my machine all exe's have the same icon, a diamond shape with two gears. And all DLL files display a text document looking Icon.

I've been searching high and low and can not for the life of me understand why there's the difference. Nor can I see any preference options in the system settings pane that would account for the disparity. I'm just most baffled by the fact that it's the same install disk and we both have very similar programs installed at this point, yet our icons are worlds different. Any help would be most appreciated, thank you!

PS. Both installs are the 64bit variant, idk if that makes a difference?

Beans

Re: Icon Preference Option?

I figured out the problem which is rather silly. Just in case anyone else has this problem in the future, after installing wine you just need to restart the computer and the browser will start loading icons all pretty like.