Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logical Block -- Buffer I/0 Error

Beans

Logical Block -- Buffer I/0 Error

Hi,
    During a live session of Ubuntu 20.04 (desktop) today, I was unable to copy screenshots and system log files onto a USB stick. The USB stick is fine, but when I tried to drag system logs and screenshots to the stick to copy them, something was interfering with the drag. The icons of the files "jumped" back into the file manager/browser.

The security part of the log for this session records a Buffer I/O error, see the attached screenshots/thumbnails.

I have had this happen on another Lenovo Thinkpad as well, on which the Ubuntu 20.04 is installed as the OS. And on those occasions too, there was never anything wrong with the USB stick itself. Rather, it felt like the USB stick was forced not to be recognized, for when I logged out and logged back in, the USB stick was working fine again. This stick used during today's live session is working fine too.

Perhaps there's something in the log indicating what was blocking the USB stick from getting recognized?

Here's the log of this live session on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/1ZBcei0e
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bhubunt; March 15th, 2023 at 09:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Logical Block -- Buffer I/0 Error

Did you mount the usb stick before attempting the file copy, was it automounted or was it unmounted? What if you attempt to copy the file from command line?

Sorry, I've always hated drag-and-drop interfaces. Far too easy to drop things in the wrong place.

Beans

I put the stick in during live session: I could open it and see that the files were on the stick, but I could not copy onto it. The stick is not broken.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try from the terminal, just found this link: https://linuxopsys.com/topics/copy-f...using-terminal

I'm also hoping someone can look at the log and screenshot I posted. Perhaps the log reveals what went wrong. https://pastebin.com/1ZBcei0e
    Last edited by bhubunt; March 15th, 2023 at 01:12 PM.

Beans

07:52:28 kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 1, lost async page write
    07:52:28 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 33 op 0x1WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0

Doesn't look healthy. What file system are you using here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    07:52:28 kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 1, lost async page write
    07:52:28 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 33 op 0x1WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0

Doesn't look healthy. What file system are you using here?

Hi,
    Thanks for the question. Can you give me some pointers as to how I can find the file system that was being used?

I was logged into a live Ubuntu 20.04 session, not using the terminal and not making any specific choices about filesystems myself.

I was simply trying to drag text files of logs and screenshots onto the USB stick but the dragging/copying was blocked. The stick works fine and I could open it. But the copying of the logs and screenshots onto the USB stick was blocked.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If i am understanding this right (I'm going off your description and the errors): Just to be clear about device /dev/sda... Isn't that the same USB as the "Live Session" was booted from?

The Live Session media is (by default) "not persistent". If you wanted to save files to a LiveCD USB, it would either have to be setup as being persistent (having a writable area for persistent storage), or you would have to save to an additional USB storage device that was mounted after the Live Session was booted to be able to save files to... I think that others are assuming that, without noticing that it is saying the device is "/dev/sdaX"... which is normally assigned to the device that it booted from.

The LiveCD USB image is actually a compressed image file, that during boot, is uncompressed and exists in memory. That is why you are able to install packages, do updates, etc, in that environment. Any changes are lost when the Live Session is shut down. Anything else on that same media device (the original image), unless setup as persistent storage, is only read-only.

Many of us think that the old verbiage of continuing to call the LiveCD, created on a USB, of calling it a LiveCD inaccurate, and now refer to it as being a L.I.E. (Live Image Environment). And yes, we have a sense of humor. LOL

Does that make sense?

I'm not sitting there, seeing what you are doing, so I can only go off your description, and play the different scenarios in my head. Forgive me if I misunderstand that.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 15th, 2023 at 10:39 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    If i am understanding this right (I'm going off your description and the errors): Just to be clear about device /dev/sda... Isn't that the same USB as the "Live Session" was booted from?

The Live Session media is (by default) "not persistent". If you wanted to save files to a LiveCD USB, it would either have to be setup as being persistent (having a writable area for persistent storage), or you would have to save to an additional USB storage device that was mounted after the Live Session was booted to be able to save files to... I think that others are assuming that, without noticing that it is saying the device is "/dev/sdaX"... which is normally assigned to the device that it booted from.

The LiveCD USB image is actually a compressed image file, that during boot, is uncompressed and exists in memory. That is why you are able to install packages, do updates, etc, in that environment. Any changes are lost when the Live Session is shut down. Anything else on that same media device (the original image), unless setup as persistent storage, is only read-only.

Many of us think that the old verbiage of continuing to call the LiveCD, created on a USB, of calling it a LiveCD inaccurate, and now refer to it as being a L.I.E. (Live Image Environment). And yes, we have a sense of humor. LOL

Does that make sense?

I'm not sitting there, seeing what you are doing, so I can only go off your description, and play the different scenarios in my head. Forgive me if I misunderstand that.

Hi

No -- I was referring to another USB stick, not the installation stick which does not show. I was trying to drag logs and screenshots onto this USB stick, but that dragging or copying was blocked. However, this stick is fine and I could open the stick, see the other files on it, *while* I was in this same Ubuntu 20.04 live session. So something was blocking the transfer of the system logs and screenshots onto this second USB stick, during the live session log-in of Ubuntu 20.04.

I posted the log on Pastebin and am hoping a forum member good at analyzing such logs could have a look at it. The logical block error is line 59 on this pastebin log: https://pastebin.com/1ZBcei0e
    Last edited by bhubunt; March 16th, 2023 at 08:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try it again...

Looking at the logs:
    Code:
    07:53:40 kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
    07:53:40 kernel:  sdb: sdb1
    07:53:40 kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    07:53:40 kernel: scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     USB      USB DISK 3.2     2.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
    07:53:39 mtp-probe: bus: 4, device: 6 was not an MTP device
    07:53:39 kernel: scsi host7: usb-storage 4-1:1.0
    07:53:39 kernel: usb-storage 4-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    07:53:39 kernel: usb 4-1: SerialNumber: FC1507FA645C3
    07:53:01 kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
    07:53:01 kernel:  sdb: sdb1
    07:53:01 kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    07:53:01 kernel: scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     USB      USB DISK 3.2     2.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
    07:53:00 mtp-probe: bus: 4, device: 5 was not an MTP device
    07:52:59 kernel: scsi host7: usb-storage 4-2:1.0
    07:52:59 kernel: usb-storage 4-2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    07:52:59 kernel: usb 4-2: SerialNumber: FC1507FA645C3
    07:52:58 systemd: tracker-store.service: Succeeded.
    07:52:58 tracker-store: OK
    07:52:52 systemd: systemd-hostnamed.service: Succeeded.
    07:52:28 udisksd: Cleaning up mount point /media/ubuntu/disk (device 8:17 no longer exists)
    07:52:28 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 33 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
    07:52:28 kernel: usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 6
    07:52:25 nautilus: gtk_widget_set_visible: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    Look at line #57, highlighted in red above... The mount released and dropped out for some reason. That is why it had the I/O error in the next line.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Hi,
    Thanks so much for the analysis. I really appreciate it.

Are there any indications what could have caused the released and dropped out mount, seeing that the USB stick is fine, intact and working perfectly.

As I mentioned in the original post, I have had the same thing happen repeatedly on two other computers with various USB sticks. Each time the USB stick is fine after I log out and log back in.

What does the bold section in this line of code mean?

Code:
     07:52:28 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 33 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0 
    (I now know how to cite code)
    Last edited by bhubunt; March 16th, 2023 at 01:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It could be various things, but one is this: RE: https://www.reddit.com/r/pop_os/comm...b_sector_0_op/

You have opened 3 threads in the past few days. That is not a bad thing. I am trying to understand. Just trying to paint the picture in my head of what is happening to what there...

One thread is this: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2484917 ... where you very likely have a failed 128GB internal hard disk. Or at least there are challenges to that system. (The BIOS no longer see's your hard disk.) Is this on the same Lenovo system as that thread?

And the same system, as the networking question thread? (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2484974).

Is this happening on the same computer? Or on separate computers?

If the same computer, then please run the UbuntuForums 'system-info' script from a LiveUSB and post the url of where the report uploads to, so we can see what your hardware is, and see how Linux see's it.

Let's see what is going on and paint an accurate picture.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 16th, 2023 at 05:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast