Thread: The state of printing in Ubuntu as for 2024

Beans

The state of printing in Ubuntu as for 2024

Hi guys,

So I have been peeking at Ubuntu since the beginning, but as I am not into coding I never used it as my daily driver until 23.10

I use Kubuntu, but to my understanding it's the same as Ubuntu but with different desktop (which I like more).

So to the point - I can't print (4 pictures on 1 page) multiple pages on one sheet in Ubuntu/Kubuntu... This is some nightmare.

When I used Kubuntu 23.10 I googled a lot to find a solution and it was advised to use Shotwell program to do it - and it did finally work... until I upgraded to 24.04 and it does not work again.

I tried first with Gwenview - it can't print multiple pages on one sheet, it will print just 1/4 pictures and leave the rest of the page blank.
    So I installed Shotwell (Snap) - and guess what, it prints entirely blank pages... I also noticed that Shotwell under 23.10 displayed different print window than Gwenview, and now they display the same window once you select 'print'.

I decided to uninstall Shotwell (Snap) and install the 'normal' one and - tadaa, printing multiple pictures on one sheet works perfectly (it also displays different print window than Gewnview and Shotwell (Snap) )

Guys, I've got a normal home printer HP Envy 4500, nothing fancy, it auto-installs and is auto-detected by my system.
    But it seems that there is only one app that allows for basic printing functionalities expected as something standard in 2024... and once we are forced to use Snap the printing is going to break.

The devs should look at this, as these issues were already reported in 8 years old threads and still today in 2024 nothing has changed in this matter. It should work out of the box on a modern system. It seems that currently we can print multiple pages on one sheet only by using Shotwell (non-Snap).
    Last edited by mikethemike; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:36 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: The state of printing in Ubuntu as for 2024

So to the point - I can't print (4 pictures on 1 page)
    I'm not sure that I understand the issue. Right now I have Scribus desktop publication app open and I can create as many frames as I wish to print.
    Text Frame, Image Frame, render frame ...
    LibreOffice offers same multi frame. What am I misunderstanding?