Thread: reset MIME file assocations

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Angry reset MIME file assocations

Hi there,
    I've got some problems with GNOME mimetypes. Since my last distribution
    upgrade (I upgraded Ubuntu Gutsy to Ubuntu Hardy [Beta, now using stable]), almost all file associations are broken. For example, JPGs are opened in Firefox, PDFs aren't opened anymore etc. I had hoped that it would be possible to reset the file-associations but I found no way to do this. What I tried myself is:

* deleting >/usr/share/mime/*< (on Ubuntu) and >~/.local/share/mime/*< and then upgrading the mime database;
    * reconfiguring shared-mimetype-info with dpkg-reconfigure
    * removing gnome-mime-database with deleting all configuration files and then reinstalling it.

(After each step I restarted my machine)

None of these steps changed anything. I'm using Nautilus as file browser and for managing my desktop icons.
    So my question is: Is there a way to reset _all_ application - file associations?

This thing's drivin' me crazy, I cannot even open a txt-file (because nautilus wants to open it in GIMP -.-)
    (And, yes, I could set all those associations myself, but p.e. "Eye of Gnome" is not listed in the list where I can choose with which application to open the mime type)

Thanks, regards,
    MBM

Beans

Re: reset MIME file assocations

I had this problem before.

The file you need to delete is in your home directory. You need to delete it then logout/in.

I cant remember the location of it though

I will try to find it.
    Hmmm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you.
    Yesterday someone told me to delete and copy from a hardy iso the /etc/mailcap file but it didn't change anything.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

*push*

Beans

*bump*

My problem is for only one association - .desktop files. I don't know how it happened, but a new MIME type got created and I can't launch .desktop files anymore. I deleted ~/.local/share/applications/x-extension-desktop.xml and it's still broken. What's more, that type still appears in assogiate, which refuses to delete it. I'm running 8.04 and I can't upgrade to 8.10.

Beans

I had a similar problem: after an upgrade all my files would open in 'text editor'. Plus all icons would render as a text file but with the attempt to print the contents appearing down and to the right.

I tried the various guide on the web to remove directories from my home dir and looking at system mime files but nothing worked. In the end I thought I'd try a different file system explorer application and did
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install rox-filer
    This obviously restored some common file that had gone wrong under Nautilus because everything was now back to normal!

Beans

Same problem with Ubuntu 9.10. After playing with different window mangers and desktops, Nautilus doesn't make the association between filetype and application. Properties windows doesn't give you a default option. You can install Nautilus extensions with Synaptic and you get a limited configuration window that doesn't change de default icon. ¿Any help?
    Thanks.

======================================

Update

The problem wasn't Nautilus. What happened was that PCFileMan (default file manager for LXDE) replaced Nautilus as the default file manager (when I opened Nautilus it worked fine).
    Last edited by mescobal; January 3rd, 2010 at 05:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This sucks - I click to open torrent files in Nautilus, they open in deluge - but when I click in my Chromium download section, it opens Nautilus.

Same with Miro - can't 'play in external player' now, just opens Nautilus.
    Same with some other apps also - but not gPodder.
    ~The beginning is the word and the end is silence.
    And in between are all the stories. This is one of mine~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nope, not here.

I can't play files from Miro - when I click 'play' they simply open with Nautilus.

Everything opens in Nautilus for me now - jpg/torrent/pdf files downloaded with Chrome or Firefox, all the same.

Everything opens fine from Nautilus though...
    ~The beginning is the word and the end is silence.
    And in between are all the stories. This is one of mine~