Thread: Firefox starts on boot - how do I stop this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Firefox starts on boot - how do I stop this

Just over the past few days Firefox 3.5.8 now starts as soon as the desktop has loaded - it's not set to do this in 'Startup Applications' - how do I stop it starting on boot?

Also, over the same period, if I click a javascript link, nothing happens, it no longer opens the relevant page or image; so I click it again and still nothing, however several minutes later the page/image may open, but not always.

Also if I close Firefox, then later click a link in an email it no longer opens Firefox - I then have to go into 'System Monitor > Processes', find and then 'end process' for Firefox (cause it's sleeping) before I can actually start it.

I've gone in Synaptic and 'reinstalled' Firefox, but it made no difference. I cleared the cache and all cookies as well - could something have got into Firefox, and if so how can I fix it ?

I'm using karmic 9.10 32 bit with kernel 2.6.31-20-generic-pae

update - it appears it's a javascript problem within Firefox as I can no longer open the popup window for online banking from my banks webpage link - I can do this in other browsers such as Epiphany, Google Chrome and Opera, but not in Firefox
    Last edited by charonred; March 18th, 2010 at 03:29 AM.
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox starts on boot - how do I stop this

...perhaps you are correct, java may have something to do with your problem. had read some threads bout it, tho had forgotten bout the specifics. there are unresolved issues of java in karmic...don't know if uninstall/re-install of all java progs and firefox would correct your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I thought Firefox's profile had become corrupt, so I deleted the profile.ini file and Firefox then created a new profile, so I've just spent the past hour installing my 'add-ons' and revisiting my various pages and saving passwords again - what a hassle ...

But the javascript problem is still there as is FF auto running when I boot ???
    Last edited by charonred; March 18th, 2010 at 06:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Firefox loads probably because the last configuration is being remembered by the desktop manager. First close firefox completely and kill all instances of it. Go to system->preferences->startup apps->options. Now click the "remember currently running application". I hope that fixes that problem.

Now, as far as the javascript problem or profile problem goes, save/export your bookmarks if any first. Close firefox. Then move the .mozilla folder out of the way from your home directory. "mv ~/.mozilla ~/.moz.old"
    Then open firefox again. Do the basic setup part and see if it solves your problems. If it does not, uninstall firefox and reinstall it. Then lather-rinse-and repeat the last part of moving .mozilla folder out. See if that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

See the troubleshooting section of Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks John Newbuntu
    solution for Firefox starting worked a treat

your solution for javascript also worked but I ended up doing it several times; finally figuredout the cause of problem - was the 'Kallout' search Add-on that was messing the javascript

I progressively installed various Add-ons I use, but after installing 'Kallout' it went wrong again, so uninstalled it and things are fine ... shame cause I've been using that Add-on for a couple of years and never had problems with it before ... still I can live without it.

Taken the whole day to sort this out, from early this morning till dusk ...