Thread: Help guys! lucid is mibehaving!

Beans

Help guys! lucid is mibehaving!

I installed lucid on my girlfriend's laptop and it was all working quite alright but lately for some reason the keyboard stops responding, the mouse moves around but the buttons don't work, the panels stop responding, the only way to fix it is to restart. My girlfriend is bugging me with this and I don't know what could it be.

I was thinking maybe I should disable the touchpad, I heard sometime that the touch pads sometimes conflict with something else and can create such problems. Anyone had this happening to them before? any ideas?

Beans

Re: Help guys! lucid is mibehaving!

1) If your girlfriend didn't want you to do this to her computer, put Windows back on it.
    2) Have you tried running fsck?
    3) Install all updates, reboot. Check if problems are still there.
    4) Check your log files.

Beans

Yes she wanted me to install it, but I am far from a linux wizard yet. I will try the updates and reboot. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Do you get the same symptoms when you run the Lucid LiveCD on her computer?
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Beans

What is the model of laptop, by the way? If you're having problems with it, perhaps using a different distribution would fix your problems. Hardware support varies greatly between kernels, the simplest way for you to use a different kernel would be to try a different distribution. There are other ways to do it, but switching disto will mean that hopefully, the kernel will keep supporting your hardware to the same level of competence. If it's a new laptop, I suggest Fedora. If it's an old laptop, I suggest Debian testing.