Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.10 shutdown hanging

Beans

10.10 shutdown hanging

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10. When choosing to shutdown using the GUI the system shows the Ubuntu logo and the dots changing color. It then hangs with nothing but a hard power-cycle succeeding in shutting down the system. Interestingly I actually hear the hard-disk cut power and spin down when this happens. The system PSU, monitor and fans continue to run, though.

sudo halt shuts the system down fine.

This is a new problem. My system under 10.04 did not have this problem.

Beans

Re: 10.10 shutdown hanging

There were a few occasions where, when I went to menu>quit>shut down, the plymouth shutdown splash was showing but it seemed to hang and not shut down. Interestingly though, if I hit the down cursor(arrow) key it stopped hanging and shut down immediately. I assume this would probably be the case with any key, not just that key in particular. It hasn't been an issue 98-99% of the time though so I have not gotten around to investigating it more thoroughly

Beans

I don't know if I've hit the down arrow key yet, but I've hit escape and enter and probably a couple of others.

I tried this. It seems to be completely locked.
    Last edited by pszpak; October 15th, 2010 at 06:11 PM.

Beans

I am having the same issue. It just hangs both on shutdown OR restart. Have to do a hard reset.

Beans

Installing this wireless driver worked for me and fixed the issue.

http://stat.case.edu/~jrt32/how_to_b...0~ppa1_all.deb

Beans

Would this be something useful even if I don't have wireless on this computer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyjc View Post
    Installing this wireless driver worked for me and fixed the issue.

http://stat.case.edu/~jrt32/how_to_b...0~ppa1_all.deb
    Just tried and it doesn't show the Ubuntu logo as it shuts down, just terminal stuff, but it still refuses to shut down. After showing lines of text, screen goes black and the computer stays on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

After you've hit shutdown and you press escape to clear the plymouth window, you should get some text. What is displayed in the text here should give you some sort of indication of what is causing it to hang. What text do you get?

Beans

Pressing the escape key, and any other key, does nothing in my case; plymouth stays on the screen. As far as I can tell the computer is frozen. I haven't been able to see the shutdown text.

I should also add that sudo halt does show a proper shutdown sequence, including the animated plymouth screen.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. I was on 9.10 x64 before, which always shut down normally - when I switched to 10.10 x64 I did a fresh install.

When I shut down, the plymouth screen freezes, and the fans spin down, but the PC doesn't power off.

If I hit ESC fast enough, I see that the last text is "will now halt", but the computer doesn't.

However, if I enter "sudo halt" in a console, the PC *does* shut down successfully.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast