Thread: gvfsd-trash fills /var/log/syslog

Beans

gvfsd-trash fills /var/log/syslog

22.04 fresh install. My /var/log/syslog is filled to the brim with hundreds of GB of the same message:

May 1 13:10:50 XXXXX gvfsd[1936]: message repeated 5 times: [ (process:1936): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 11:10:50.552: fail: Error accepting connection: Too many open files]
    May 1 13:10:50 XXXXX gvfsd[1936]: (process:1936): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 11:10:50.553: fail: Error accepting connection: Too many open files

This continues until I kill process gvfsd-trash. Then I truncate with sudo tee /var/log/syslog </dev/null

What can cause this thing?

Thanks

Beans

Re: gvfsd-trash fills /var/log/syslog

I should add that the remedy is temporary - the process restarts after a while and begins spamming /var/log/syslog again.

Beans

I have the same issue since i upgraded to 22.04

It seems like this is reported here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/-/issues/606
    Last edited by vsomdvfjso; May 1st, 2022 at 08:00 PM.

Beans

Yep - seems like DING is the culprit. Removing /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ding@rastersoft.com cured it.

Beans

You can truncate files easily with
    Code:
    >  /var/log/syslog
    Nice and short

Beans

I should mention this:
    Running "sudo gnome-extensions disable ding@rastersoft.com" did not work.

Then I ran "sudo apt install dconf-editor" and after that "gnome-extensions disable ding@rastersoft.com" did work.

No idea if it was the lack of sudo or because I had then installed dconf-editor, and I ain't about to recurse the steps just to find out.

I figured that may be a less intrusive way of fixing this than my first method during troubleshooting: moving the folder in /usr/share/ to another place.

Beans

I my case - I use Xubuntu, I do not have DING. Or at least I do not see it in "dpkg -l"
    But I kill gvfsd-trash and clean logs through journalctl at least 3 times per day